Friday, February 1, 2013

Souper Bowl Friday

Souper Bowl Friday at My School

One of the soups: Taco Soup
My soup: Creamy Potato Soup

Today was Souper Bowl Friday at our school. Our wonderful care team set up the day for us to bring a special soup from each grade level with sides and desserts for lunch. We had so much fun with it! Whoever brought in a soup displayed the name of the soup with a list of the ingredients.
Since I really enjoy cooking, I volunteered to make the soup for our grade level. I decided to make some potato soup. After looking up several recipes, I didn't see any that I really thought would be great, so I decided to make up my own recipe. I was a little nervous about it, but a lot of the staff seemed to enjoy it and several of the people asked for the recipe.  My crock pot was empty by the end of lunch, so I think it was enjoyed by many. I thought I would post the recipe today before I forgot what I did to make it!!
Here it is: 
Ingredients: 5-6 large Russet baking potatoes
1 stick of butter (I used real butter)
3 boullion chicken cubes dissolved in 4 cups of boiling water
16 oz. whole milk
16 oz. heavy cream
1 8 oz. cream cheese
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

1. Peel and cube the potatoes. Using a 10 inch skillet, melt the butter on low heat. Add the potatoes, salt, pepper,  and 2 cups of the chicken boullion. Raise the heat to medium. Cook the potatoes until they are tender.  
2. Remove from heat and carefully spoon the cooked potatoes into a large crock pot.
3. Add the milk, cream, and rest of boullion and stir.
4. Cube the cream cheese and add to the soup.
5. Cook on high heat in the crock pot for 1 hour.
6. After 1 hour, stir the soup and make sure the cream cheese has melted within the soup mixture.
7. Add the sharp cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
8 Turn the knob on the crock pot to low. Cook for 2 more hours.
9. When ready to serve, have some fresh cooked crumbled bacon, crackers, and/or cornbread to add to your bowl of soup!
Hope you can try it and enjoy!! 





0 comments:

Post a Comment