Thursday, November 27, 2014

Frozen Cranberry Salad/Dessert

Every Thanksgiving, I love to make an easy peasy frozen salad/dessert called: Frozen Cranberry Salad. Because of its pretty pink color, I've also made it for baby showers and it's always a hit! So I thought I would share it today since it is Thanksgiving.
As you can see there are not many ingredients. You'll need 1 lemon, 1 8oz can of crushed pineapple, 1 8oz carton of Cool Whip (thawed), 1 can of WHOLE berry cranberry sauce, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans (I forgot to add those to the picture above...oops!)

First of all, squeeze the whole lemon. I love this little juicer and I also have one of those nice ceramic handle type as well....but today I decided to use this one.
In a large mixing bowl, pour in the condensed milk and add the juice of the lemon. Stir well.
Next, add the can of WHOLE cranberry sauce. Continue mixing. This is where the pretty pink color comes into effect. 
Now you need to open the can of crushed pineapple and drain it well. I just open it and using the top of the can I squeeze the juice out into a bowl. You just discard this juice. It does NOT go into the salad. 
Next, you can take 1/2 cup of pecans and chop them to a course consistency (is that even a chef like phrase?!) I have a heavy metal pounder that I like to use. I put the pecans in a nice pile and pound gently away. 
Once, you've drained the pineapple and chopped the pecans, (....oh yea....you can just buy a small bag of chopped pecans....I just didn't have any and I found these pecans in my freezer.... most southern belles like me keep pecans in the freezer.) add them both to the mix and stir well.
Then, fold in the 8oz. carton of Cool Whip until you have just a nice pink mixture.
This is how it looks once you have everything mixed. I could honestly eat it like this!
Now it is time to put the salad in a 9 x 12 inch container and spread it evenly in the pan.....or you can also put the mixture in cupcake liners in a cupcake pan and freeze little individual salads. Then, put your salad in the freezer and freeze for at least 6-8 hours. 
Take the frozen salad out of the freezer right before you want to serve it. Cut it into squares using a spatula. 

I've blogged before that I love to get recipes from church cookbooks and that is exactly where this one was found. This salad has been printed a few times in cookbooks from the town my husband is from.....Summerville, Georgia. The sweet lady who put it in this one died a couple of years ago, but I think it is soooo precious to see that one of her recipes lives on for other people to enjoy!
Now that I've written this post, I am wanting me some Cranberry Frozen Salad....I think I'll get some leftovers. God bless those leftovers!! 











0 comments:

Post a Comment